Wednesday, July 3

Homemade Chunky PB Ice Cream

As said by the iconic Temptations, "Get ready cuz here I come". I promised a recipe for home made chunky peanut butter ice cream and I'm here to deliver! Once you try this and believe that my mom is the most amazing person on the planet for coming up with it, you'll be sharing this with your friends and family. I remember growing up in Chattanooga and watching the fireworks at Camp Jordan from our front porch. Every year we had herds of church family gather on blankets in the front yard and beg my mom to continue making more ice cream because one mug or bowl full just wasn't enough.

This is the simple way to make it.

Combine 1 cup of heavy cream, 1 cup of half and half, 1/2 cup of sugar, 3/4 tsp. of vanilla extract, 1 pinch of salt, and a half cup of chunky peanut butter. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Then all you gotta do is freeze according to the ice cream freezer directions...usually about 45 minutes to one hour. It will make 1 quart.

The way my mom makes it is a little more complicated because it involves an ice cream maker. And we all know that adding rock salt to the thing isn't always something you want to be spending your evening doing. But if you've worked with them before, it's probably like second nature.

My mom has made the ice cream both this way and by using the ice cream machine. If it were me because I'm lazy I'd make it by just combining, stirring and freezing all the ingredients. They taste the exact same way no matter how it's made.

Grilling foods can be prepared in time for the holiday but often times the dessert is forgotten about. So if you're in a rush and need something that's not your typical brownies or cookies, consider making this chunky peanut butter ice cream. I promise you'll be pleasantly surprised! My husband likes to experiment with it and add Reese's Peanut Butter Cups or Butterfingers. Play with it.

Who really eats their ice cream in a condiment container? It was a cute picture anyway.

(source unknown, comment below if known)
Aah. A bowl...now that's more like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment