Wednesday, June 26

The battle of the lipsticks


Iiiiii(dragging this word out because I'm a little hesitant to admit this)iiiiii'm kind of a lipstick whore. Is that even a thing? Yes, it's true. If there is one thing in my makeup bag that I have tons of, it's lipstick. And I'll use them with every single outfit in my closet. With my foundations, bronzers and blushes, I like to stick with what I know goes well with my skin tone. But with lipstick, as long as they're blue-based, it's game on for every color!

One of my friends asked if I could pick just one color that was my favorite....and I don't think I can do it, but I'm going to try. I wanted to give somewhat of a review of the lipsticks in my makeup bag. I'll tell you the pros and cons, prices, and if it's worth your money to try them.


The first one I'm going to talk about is one that I've had the longest. This dates back to 2010 when I was visiting a friend of a friend in LA. We went to The Grove for some shopping and wound up at the MAC counter inside Nordstrom. It's such a dangerous place for people like me. Next to the MAC counters were the counters for Bobbi Brown. I've never used her makeup products but this friend told me that I HAD to buy the lipstick no.52 called "Uber Beige". This friend looks like a hotter and younger version of Bridgitte Nielsen and because of that I couldn't say no. You learn to take makeup suggestions from the pretty people. #iwishiwerejoking. Bobbi's original formula has a soft-matte finish, which I didn't realize until this very moment. I have been on the hunt for some matte lipstick (I'll list that next) and this Bobbi Brown splurge is the best of both worlds. It is rich and moisturizing but still has some matte to it. Because of the price, I would say to look for an alternative. But if you don't care about the price and want a very good quality-made lipstick, this is the one for you.

Price --> ($24.00)Nay... Quality --> YAY!




This next lipstick is one that I bought just a few nights ago at Tar-zshay. If you've seen any of the celebrities out and about this summer or in magazines, several of them have been wearing orange on their lips. I'm not a huge fan of the color but I figured if I found the right shade, it would be something different and not your average red or pink. I found Rimmel London Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Matte Lipstick in no.109. This orange is the perfect in-between of red and orange and I promise it's more flattering than you think. It's blue-based and would pair really well with navys, blacks and even chambrays. Your skin tone might pair better with yellow-based oranges. Play with some and see what works best. Since I am a little skiddish of the color, the matte-ness of it helps calm me down, but on the other side it doesn't quite moisturize like other brands. None the less, I feel more confident wearing it. Rimmel London's makeup products are more affordable and because of that, I say go out and try some new colors. Whether it be orange or plum, you can rock it!!

Price --> ($5.19)YAY! Quality --> Meh...



This lipstick I actually found at the Flea Market in downtown Nashville. They have buildings full of different things and one is designated for makeup, hygiene and basics like socks and t-shirts. The makeup always has some sort of crazy deal like 6 for $5.00 or 3 for $2.00. It's like I'm in Heaven! They don't have much variety but they always are chock full of lipstick. I found my perfect red. Maybelline's Color Sensational lipstick in Red Revolution, no.630 is THE LIPSTICK to beat in my book. It makes my teeth look whiter, it moisturizes my lips to the fullest, and doesn't smudge unless I mean for it to. I love this particular lipstick brand so much that I have five other colors!


Price --> ($5.14)YAY! Quality --> YAY!



This last one I'm going to mention is Covergirl's Outlast All-Day Lipcolor in "Berry Stain" no.815. I bought this back in 2010 for my wedding. Jerry was worried about having color left on his lips after we kissed so I was looking for more of a long-wear product, or even a stain. I saw this stuff on the shelf and was very curious about how it would hold up throughout the day. It does what it says it will do. You apply it like a lip gloss, but it is recommended to keep your lips open for the next 20 seconds until it dries. This sets the color, without smudges, until you take it off yourself. This color is gorgeous! Buuut, I don't like that I have to use makeup remover to get it completely off my lips. Here are a couple of pictures from the wedding.



Price --> ($7.49)Meh... Quality --> Meh...

Of these four that I reviewed for my favorite people out there, considering price AND quality, I would suggest you trying the Color Sensational lip products by Maybelline. They offer sixty-freaking-eight color options. If you're in the mood for pink, you can choose one of those. And if you're in the mood for neutrals, they have those to choose from as well. So many different colors. Have fun with your lips!!

No comments:

Post a Comment