Monday, October 7

Halloween bark

I'm ready to kick this Monday off with a bang! And what better way to do that than to let my inner fat kid out with a Halloween treat? One thing I've learned is that we ALL have an inner fat kid whether you want to admit it or not. And we may not want to over-indulge now that the holidays are upon us, but this treat doesn't seem to be the junkiest of the junk out there.

I got this recipe from Pinterest (no surprise there) and the blogger called it "Salted Caramel Candy Corn Bark" but she used Halloween-colored M&Ms. You can find her recipe here.

This is what I did.

INGREDIENTS

1 bag of waffle-shaped pretzels (I didn't use the whole bag, just however many fill up a baking pan.)
1 pkg of vanilla bark or candy coating (Kroger sells the candy coating in a microwavable container.)
1 pkg caramel bits (I could not find the bits--I think only certain stores sell them--but caramel candies               still work. It just takes a little longer to unwrap each one.)
1 bag of candy corn (I bought the variety bag--chocolate and regular candy corn as well as pumpkins--             and the regular bag so I would have extra to munch on.)

DIRECTIONS

Place your baking pan/cookie sheet on the counter and line it with wax paper. Line up the waffle pretzels to cover the entire space. Melt the caramel bits/pieces in a bowl and either spoon it over the pretzels or just pour it over. Since the caramel doesn't exactly "liquify" like other melted things, spooning it over the pretzels is a little more effective. Let that sit for about 5 minutes. Next, melt your vanilla bark and pour it over the entire thing. Pouring is fine in this instance. Let the bark sit for around one minute and then start placing the candy corn in random spots. You are more than welcome to add whatever kind of candy you want. After you have finished your masterpiece, put the pan in the fridge for 30-60 minutes. After the time has passed, remove the pan and begin pulling the now solid piece of bark from the wax paper and break it into pieces. I had problems with this. The caramel and wax paper were new enemies and it took a little more effort than I would have liked to separate the two. I even had to throw away a few pieces because I was not going to spend 15 minutes picking off each little piece.


The blogger broke down these steps with a few pictures. 

Iiii ended up with a picture of the aftermath and only a few pieces left. Either way, I'm definitely making this with like EVERY holiday.


What holiday goodies are you planning on making this year??


No comments:

Post a Comment