Monday, May 20

Maybe it's time for a career change.

I've been thinking a lot lately about my career. I graduated from MTSU back in the summer of 2009 with a BS of Liberal Studies, emphases in Marketing and Music, and a minor in Management. And what has that gotten me? Not a thing. Not that I'm ungrateful for having the opportunity to go to college, but honestly, to this day, I feel like it was a waste of time. I didn't know then, nor do I now, what I wanted to be "when I grew up".

This was my train of thought in high school and college.

You've been accepted into Tri-M...Here's all these medals for all of your choral accomplishments...I think I'm going to be a Music Education Major!! Here ya go, Meghan, we'll put you in the elite choir groups, you'll go to Paris, and think you're the bomb-diggity.

Once I finished classes to be a teacher WITH music--it's like double majoring-- I knew I didn't want to do both so I switched my majors to just Education.

Here's your straight A's, Meghan....Train at some of the local schools and the degree is yours! This was going to be a piece of cake!!

I realized that KIDS SUCK AT LIFE...(not really, I just wasn't cut out to be their teacher). Long story short, I ended up with several different classes under my belt including music, education classes, marketing, and management.

To make an even longer story shorter, I'm doing nothing with that degree and I'm presently working as a medical coder at an Orthopaedic surgeon's office and couldn't be luckier to be in this position. I get paid well, we don't have an in-office manager, they don't care that we're late, and can have overtime as long as it's justified. Score! There's just some days that I wish I had a passion in life, you know? I wish there was that one thing that I loved to do since I was a kid and followed through with that dream as I matured. But there wasn't. Yeah, I was known for singing but my voice is more suited with a choir, not as a solo artist. And yeah, I like to teach people, but not as a licensed teacher.

I really only have a couple of options. I can either go back to school and get another degree or I can quit my job now and find something else that I'm good at doing. The sucky part about this is that we are all dependent on our financial security. Either of these options knock our combined income down quite a few steps so I'm left wondering is this really worth it?

My co-workers and I always joke about opening a boutique similar to Francesca's Collections since we don't have one in our area, and the store would do well, but then we'd have to figure out the loan situation and we'd still be stuck working in retail. And that's not always that fun. But then it dawned on me, why don't I become a make up artist? No, seriously. I think I'm pretty good at my own make up but I would just need to practice on doing it on others. I've only had experience with my skin tone and face shape. So that is where classes would come in handy. I don't know that I'm willing to give up my job now and sacrifice our income to do this full time. But it would be an awesome side job, right?

So here are my current plans:

  • Purchase a cornucopia (What up, Even Stevens reference!!) of make up products
  • Begin working on applying makeup (for free) to friends.
  • Research make up classes, pricing, dates, and so on.
  • Take a few classes and see what tricks I can learn!
  • Build up my portfolio and take head shots as reference for any potential clients.
  • Build a website with information about my services including pricing, travel info, etc.
  • Make a name for myself and market the hell out of it.
  • Maybe even look into joining up with a photography company and I could be their make up consultant when clients sign on with their services
We'll see where this takes me. I'm a little nervous to start this journey but excited at the same time. I know once I begin practicing the art, it will be like second nature. But for now....

Let's do it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment