Wednesday, February 12

Spinach Orzo Salad

My parents recently made this Greek/Mediterranean-style orzo salad and I am in love with it! The ingredients aren't normally something I would consider a favorite of mine, but once they were combined, it was a huge hit. I think they got it from my Grammy and I know she's been passing it around with her church friends and family down in Florida.

So now it's my turn to share it with you.

INGREDIENTS:


1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
2+ cups bagged pre-washed baby spinach, chopped
1/2 cup Greek salad dressing (recipe below)
1/2 cup oil-packed sun dried tomato halves, chopped
1 6oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
1/3 cup green onions, chopped
3oz+ feta cheese, crumbled
1 red bell pepper, chopped

Greek Dressing:

1 cup olive oil
2-3 Tbsp Greek seasoning (see below)
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar


I had no idea where to find Greek seasoning at the store. Even the Publix worker couldn't find it. So I looked online and found a recipe with herbs from my pantry.

Optional Greek Seasoning:

1 1/2 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp dried Thyme
1/2 tsp dried Basil
1/4 tsp dried Garlic, minced

Additional Ingredients:


1/2 cup English cucumber, diced
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Kalamata olives, chopped

DIRECTIONS:

Cook orzo according to the package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Mix together the orzo, Greek dressing, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and green onions. Marinate for a few hours or overnight. (Or if you're out of time and forgot to marinate it, it's not the end of the world. It still tastes just as delicious!)


Just before serving, stir together the spinach, red bell pepper, cucumber (if you want) and feta cheese with the orzo mixture. Add more Greek dressing to your taste. Serve.



**For a different taste, use lemon-infused olive oil and omit the lemon juice. I actually forgot the lemon juice at the store, so whatevs.**

I love that this pasta works as a meal on its own. You could just as easily eat some grilled chicken or fish with it if you like. I also love that, to me, it can work in both chilly and warmer seasons.

I will say that the spinach leaves can get soggy in the oil when you're eating the leftovers, but that's okay because you can add more!!

I'm linking up with Random Wednesday, That Hump Day Blog Hop, Your Whims Wednesday, and I Feel Pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment