Tuesday, March 18

March '14 Birchbox


It's sad to tell you this, but this post is for my very last Birchbox. I know I said I'd give it a year to decide whether I was convinced to keep it, but in the end, the boxes were still just "eh" like they were from the beginning. So I just went ahead and cancelled it. I still have access to their online store if I ever do want to purchase an item from them.

This month's box is all about "Spring Forward". They wanted us to focus more on our daily routines with the extra hour we got earlier in the month. They also wanted to show us how to get more out of the products we already use with different tricks.

Sounds handy, right?!

COOLA
Tinted matte SPF 30 for Face | Full-size, $36
  WHAT  Organic tinted moisturizer with lasting sun protection that evens tone and masks flaws.
  HOW     Smooth a thin layer onto clean skin.
I think I first sampled this brand in one of my very first Birchboxes.  I love that it's an organic product, but it's TINY and I'm not about to pay almost $40 for a full-size of it. I do like that this is a tinted matte SPF, but still. No thank you.

DDF
Ultra-Lite Oil-Free Moisturizing Dew | Full-size, $42
  WHAT  Derm-developed oil-free formula that leaves skin soft with a luminous finish.
  HOW     Apply a thin layer of this fast-absorbing hydrator evenly over skin.
Ever since I've seen those Vaseline commercials about the spray-and-go lotions, I've been thinking about trying them. And I actually really really love this stuff. It goes on like a lotion, but it's lighter, almost like a mix between lotion and germ-x.  You know how an anti-bacterial dries pretty quickly? It's like that. Pretty cool.

English Laundry
No. 7 for Her | Full-size, $90
  WHAT  This fruity scent mingles feminine floral notes with a vanilla-almond base.
  HOW     Spritz onto pulse points. You might just be tempted to flounce around in a pretty frock.
The spray thing on this sample doesn't work but I could still smell its' scent. It's extremely similar to the Artelier perfume I got in a box several months ago. And because of that, I'll stick with the other because this one is WAY too expensive. I already feel like I'm getting robbed paying $70 for perfume. But $90? Nope. Not gonna happen.

Gilchrist & Soames
London Collection Body Lotion | Full-size, $16
  WHAT  This fast-absorbing hydrator leaves skin silky-smooth with a light, earthy scent.
  HOW     Massage generously into skin, focusing on trouble zones like flaky elbows and knees.
First off, the scent is VERY earthy, almost just like grass. I will argue that it's not as fast-absorbing like it claims to be, but it's still a good lotion. I'm just not sure I want to smell like this stuff. Just a personal preference, I guess.

Ojon
damage reverse Restorative Hair Treatment + Restorative Hair Treatment Plus | Full-size, $33 each
  WHAT  Two generations of a cult classic hair-restorer, which hydrate and add megawatt shine.
  HOW     Warm between palms before applying generously to hair. Leave 20 minutes, rinse, and shampoo.
I felt this stuff through the packaging and it feels like clay or something. I guess that's why they tell us to warm it between your palms before applying it. The oil in this treatment is supposedly only found in rainforests of Central America so that's pretty cool. I'm not exactly sure the difference between the two. The only thing I can think is that one claims to have antioxidants and the other doesn't.

.....A TREAT FROM GHIRARDELLI.....
Take a timeout to embrace Ghirardelli's Cherry Tango Square. After you try the unique blend of deep dark chocolate, tangy cherry, and satisfying almond crunch, we dare you not to do a little happy dance.
I'm not much of a cherry and chocolate kind of girl but I tried it anyway to see if my tastebuds have changed. Nope, they haven't. I gave the rest to J and he devoured it.


In the end, the products in Birchbox just weren't something I'd buy in the real world. Yeah, it was totally fun to see the surprises in the box every month, but I'd rather get more practical things. I tried adjusting my profile online but it didn't help much.

These were solely my opinions so I hope I didn't sway you in the wrong direction. If you've been interested in any of the products that I've posted about over the months, then you should give them a shot! Visit their site and follow the instructions on how to sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment