Wednesday, August 22

How I feel about society's norms

There have been several things on my mind lately and I wanted to write separate blog posts about them but I decided not to. I'm just going to combine them in this one post and keep them short and simple.

1. Why is marijuana illegal? It has more harmful affects than alcohol supposedly. Did you know the study that was performed on monkeys so many years ago was done with a mask over their faces? Not only were they only inhaling marijuana but there wasn't any oxygen flow. Low oxygen flow by itself has major affects on the brain! So it was a skewed study. I think they wanted to make it illegal. But if you really think about it, do you know how much money the country would be making especially if they taxed the stuff?! I honestly think that if alcohol is legal, so should marijuana. Part of the reason people get so addicted to it is because they are having to sneak around with buying it and smoking it. (pic source)


2. Why does the country have to follow the rules of the Bible? I understand that we are a mainly Christian country but with how diverse we grow each and every day, I think that needs to be thrown out the window. It hurts me to think that just because we were all raised in Sunday School and led to believe everything our pastors say that it is the truth. I was like that. But lately I have been wanting to find those answers on my own. So I have started a reading plan of the Bible, chronologically, so I can see what Jesus and the prophets were trying to tell us. I don't want to hear it from anyone else. That way I will know if any pastors were twisting the truth just to get us to believe what they want us to believe and to keep us in church. It also hurts my heart when I hear the Muslims in Murfreesboro can't build/open their mosque for their own form of worshiping. I believe that as long as people are not worshiping satanic gods that it is alright. But then again, I am being prejudice if I want our country to be an open religious nation. I honestly believe that God is real, not many gods, but that is what I am trying to find out for sure. Christians believe in one true God. Muslims believe that Muhammad was the last messenger of God so they worship him. Prejudice is just not pretty. (pic source)

You can read about it here:
Judge allows Muslims to use TN mosque

3. This is probably the most important one in my eyes. WHY IS GAY MARRIAGE ILLEGAL?!?! Again, I understand that our nation is Christian but it is not up to us to say who can marry and who can't. That is only up to God. He is the only one to make those judgements. Not us. It's shit like this that makes me want to move as far away as possible from the Bible Belt and never look back. It is so sweet to see pictures like this. I can't find the article that goes with it but they were the first same sex couple to marry in NY after the law was passed to make the union legal.

(source)

(source)

4. There are people in this country that get so riled up when it comes to politics. Whether you are a Republican or Democrat shouldn't define who your friends are. With the recent Chick-fil-A freedom of speech issue, there has been a clear line drawn between smart and stupid people. I, for one, am pro-gay marriage. The manager of that specific branch of restaurants just stated his opinion that he did not think it was right for gays to marry. He was entitled to his opinion and could freely voice that. One of the politicians declared a "Chick-fil-A" day on August 1st to support his opinion. Although this was just to support that opinion, tons and tons of conservative people swarmed the local restaurants because they oppose gay marriage. But that was not what they were trying to state to the public. It got so twisted!! It wasn't about if they supported or opposed gay unions but that they were able to publicly say it one way or the other. I had so many people say on Facebook "I am so glad I live in the Bible Belt" or "Thank God for conservatives". It went the other way too. There were some liberals who went out to Chick-fil-A's the following Friday to protest this acclaimed day and one of my husband's relatives said "Let's get some conservatives down to Chick-fil-A Friday morning and show them what a conservative presence is really like." I just want to scream at all these people and tell them that their heads are in the wrong place and to think about the real issue.

You can read about it here:
Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day

These are just some of the pictures from various locations and how crazy the lines were.

(source unknown, comment below if known)

(source)

But then the internet has pictures like these which didn't capture the movement either.

(source unknown, comment below if known)

(source unknown, comment below if known)

I also find it kind of odd that people are so angry about this appreciation day when Nashville has declared themselves as an LGBT community. I know, in part, that it was declared so we could have more diversified tourists in Nashville but where are all the news stories and protests about this? I love living in the South but this is starting to get a little ridiculous. I want everyone to get along and respect others' opinions and lifestyles without getting offended.

All I want is peace, love, and harmony!!

No comments:

Post a Comment